Saturday, February 27, 2010

Eye Doctor

Perron had his follow-up eye doctor appointment yesterday morning.  Before I go into the appointment, I need to give some back story.  In December, when we felt like his eye's had improved so dramatically, I canceled his appointments with the neuro-opthalmologist and the pediatric opthamologist.  Here is the slight catch....I didn't tell his original eye doctor that I was doing that.  I had spoken with his therapist, who was with us at the first appointment, and we felt like he was doing so well we didn't need to put him through the stress of those tests.

Fast forward to Tuesday of this week.  I am at work and get a call on my cell phone.  Guess who it is...Dr. M-T, his eye doctor.  She told me that she had seen that Perron was on the schedule for Friday and she called the neuro and the ped. optho and found out I had canceled my appointments.  Dum...dum. dum...dummmmm  I was completely busted.  First of all, growing up as a daughter of a doctor, I rarely question what doctor's tell me is the right thing to do.  I trust them and truly believe they are acting in the best interest of myself and my son.  Second, I have NEVER had a doctor call me up unprompted and bust me for going against what she told me to do.  I apologized for going against medical advice and tried to explain how much he had improved and what had led us to make that decision.  She was very nice, but went on to explain standard of care...yadda yadda....and ended by telling me she had gone ahead and re-scheduled our appointments for March.  I told her I understood, but hoped when we saw her on Friday, that she would see how good he was doing and would reconsider.  She seemed very skeptical, but said she would see what happened on Friday.

And guess what....we went on Friday and Perron passed his eye exam with flying colors.  Everyone who had been in with us the first appointment (basically the whole office) was coming in to see him and telling us how much they had been thinking of us and hoping he would do better.  And he is!  Dr. M-T could NOT believe how awesome he was doing.  She was so taken aback.  She walked into the room and he was watching her and she was moving all around to see if he would follow what she was doing.  The first words out of her mouth were, "Well I can see that he can see me".  YAY Perron!  She went on to explain that she had very rarely seen a case present the way that Perron's did and then turn into the outcome that we have experienced.  She was so excited and very surprised.  The best news is that she said she would personally cancel the other two doctor's appointments that she had scheduled.  We don't have to go back for another six months.  She said she had seen a couple of cases of the delayed visual development in which the vision came in and then later on secondary issues came up, so she gave us some warning signs to look for, but I know he is going to be okay.

The moral of this story is prayer works!  I don't think I fully understood what kind of miracle took place with Perron's vision until yesterday.  I just assumed that our outcome happened for most babies that had Perron's issues.  I was definitely wrong.  So I want to thank you all again for your prayers.  We will never be able to repay this gift that we have been given, but I want you to know that we will be eternally grateful.  We are so blessed to have so many people, both those that we know and those that we don't, that care enough about our son and our family to lift up our worries and heartache to God.  Thank you doesn't even begin to describe it!

We love you all!

7 comments:

  1. What a blessing! That gave me goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so wonderful! I'm so proud of Perron and so happy for the entire family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is great news. i am so happy for his continued good health. a doctor calling me would feel AWKWARD!too, so busted. giggle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Congratulations Julia! We are so happy for you! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOO exciting, Julia Gulia!! Go Perron!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. discount contact lenses

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. DMV EYE EXAM

    ReplyDelete