Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Due Date

Today is the day that Perron was supposed to be born. I can't believe that his due date is here. It is so weird to think that this entire time he was still supposed to be inside me. It is a really surreal feeling that is very hard to put in words. So much has happened in these past six weeks and at times they alternately feel like the fastest and slowest 6 weeks of my life. It feels like he has always been here and been a part of our lives and he has changed so much in the past six weeks. He has had so many milestones that it is hard to imagine that he wouldn't be "alive" on the outside until today. He is in newborn diapers as of today. We switched him from his preemie bottle nipples to his newborn nipples yesterday. We have already had to take his bumper pads off of is crib because he moves around so much. I came in this morning (after a very long night...more on that later) and he had scooted all the way to the top of the crib and had pressed his face up against the crib bars so hard that when I picked him up he had an indentation on his face! He is going to be a strong little squirm worm just like his mommy.

Back to the long night. As I mentioned, he is is quite the squirmmer. He HATES being swaddled and screams bloody murder if you try and keep his hands down. I think that he gets this from his daddy because being in a straight jacket is probably hands down one of Stephen's biggest fears. So we have started just wrapping his swaddling blanket under his armpits and letting his arms go free. He likes that for the most part, but it really gives him leverage to move around. He wants to sleep on his side really bad (like his mommy) and we are having a hard time getting him to stay on his back already. I went and bought sleep positioners yesterday after talking to my pediatrician and we tried them out last night. BIG MISTAKE! He was so tired, but everytime you would put him down, his little arms and legs would start flailing and he would bump the positioner. That would startle him and he would start screaming bloody murder. I was up with him from 1:30am until 6 am with only 30 minutes of sleep in the mix. Stephen got up with me at 5:30 while we tried to figure out what to do. I have to say we still don't really have a plan. I think we are going to give the shankapotomus (see adventures in poop entry for explination) one more try and see how it goes if we take everything out of the crib. I don't think he could roll all the way over at this point, but I also didn't think he could wiggle out of his positioners and get his face pressed against the crib rails. Wish us luck tonight! Mommy can't take another five hours straight of awake time in the middle of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment