Monday, April 20, 2009

The Mystery is Solved

Well it appears that the mystery of my abdominal pain has been solved. The doctor just called and apparently I have a Group B Strep infection in my bladder. The first time I went into the doctor they did not do a full urinalysis, which irritates me a little bit, but they did do one the second time. Now that I am a known Group B Strep carrier, a few things will happen. First of all, I have to be on antibiotics right now to try and cure the infection in my bladder. I am going to pick up a weeks round of antibiotics at lunch time so I can go ahead and start taking them today. The nurse assured me that they will not hurt the baby. I then will have to be on IV antibiotics prior to go into labor. I know that they need to treat me before (or immediately after) my water breaks, so I have a feeling this means they will not let me go into labor naturally. I might be a candidate for being induced. Of course I am allergic to the main drug they use to treat Group B Strep, Penicillin, so I am going to have to be on some alternate drug. I have my 22 week appointment on Thursday and Stephen is going to come with me to make sure that we understand everything and have all of our questions asked. The nurse assured me that my infection was not reaching the baby right now because he is in the membrane, but I want to hear those words come directly out of the doctor's mouth! I will keep you posted and let you know what they tell us on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment