Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Another Update

I love my doctor. He is the most personable, friendly, caring OBGYN I have ever had. That being said, I don't always love his practice. It is big and you are sometimes passed around without people always feeling a vested interest in your care. These past two weeks have been stressful and a bit of a roller coaster ride. I have not felt great, I have been scared, confused, and stressed out. I have had a really hard time getting the answers and information I needed and I typically would get off each call more confused then before I got on the call. I went in for what will be the final "emergency" appointment this morning. Ater I got the call about the Group B Strep infection in my bladder, I had a lot of questions that I have had a hard time getting answered and I have still been having a lot of pain. This is the final read on the situation. I do have Group B strep in my bladder, and we have decided that with a two year+ history of undiagnosed pelvic pain, that I probably have been harboring this infection for some time and it flares up periodically. When I have my urine tested when I go to the doctor it doesn't show the traditional signs of infection. It is common for Group B Strep to not show those kinds of signs. The problem with my case is that because I am PCN allergic, I have a higher likelihood of my strain of Group B Strep being resistant to my antibiotic. This is the part where I don't like big practices...there was apparently some miscommunication between the doctor and the lab and they didn't test my culture for sensitivity to certain antibotics. So basically they are not sure if I am still having symptoms because I have a resistance to that drug or if the drug just hasn't had time to work yet. We have sent out another culture to try and figure it out.

So back to loving my doctor, he answered ALL of my questions (and there were ALOT of questions) and I feel confident that we are doing the right thing and I am not in any danger and neither is the baby. Now if we can get my bladder to stop spasming (seriously being 4 times in one hour!) and make the pain and pressure go away then we will be all set. Phew! Hopefully this will be the last time I have to go to the doctor's office without a regularly scheduled appointment.

1 comment: